Monday, December 13, 2010

Tip: Documentum docbroker blacklist

This will be the first in a (hopefully) long list of technical tips for EMC Documentum.
If you're implementing, or maintaining Documentum, enjoy !

----------

Did you know that Documentum DFC keeps a blacklist of bad docbrokers?
I found out about this today, after I had some trouble logging into DA, while I had no trouble using RPSA on the same App server. The message I got was:
java.io.IOException: DFC_DOCBROKER_EXCLUDED

I read up on this error and it turns out that DFC tries to contact a docbroker a few times and if there is no response, it will put that docbroker on a black list and not contact that docbroker again. This is useful if you have aq chain of Primary and Backup docbrokers. This mechanism will cause DFC to go to a backup docbroker when the one it was using goes down.
In my case, there is no backup docbroker and once your only docbroker is on the black list, you'rein trouble.

In my case this happened because I started DA while the system was still busy starting up. Because of the black list, it is not enough to wait a while and retry when you get this error. Things need to be restarted and more patience applied, or ...

There is a setting in dfc.properties that controls the number of attempts that DFC makes to contact a docbroker, before putting it on the black list:
  dfc.docbroker.exclude.failure_threshold
The default is 3

I increased it to 6. I haven't seen the DFC_DOCBROKER_EXCLUDED exception since.


Anyone have a similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment